Welcome to The Surly Curmudgeon!
Most Recent Bible Studies and Curmudgeonliness
- 1 Timothy 1:18-20 – What Does It Mean?by Brian HuppA friend asked me what I thought these few verses mean. Taken in isolation, this passage is indeed a little confusing, so I took a few minutes to analyze it, and here’s what I came up with. 18This charge I entrust to you, Timothy, my child, in accordance with the prophecies previously made about you, … More…
- Do Human Clones Have Human Souls?by Brian HuppAssuming that human science will soon be able to create human clones and/or artificial intelligence equal to or superior to human intelligence, what inalienable rights would such creations inherently possess?
- Death and Resurrectionby Brian HuppWe consider the subjects of death and resurrection using the booklet “Death and Afterward” by Dr. Lehman Strauss as a framework for our discussions.
- 2017 Mercedes Sprinter Antenna Repairby Brian HuppOur van’s navigation system stopped working, and then the overhead light console began dripping water. The integrated gasket material at the bottom of the plastic antenna mounting shell had gotten brittle and started to crumble which was allowing water incursion into the van’s interior. Replacing the antenna mount would have cost several hundred dollars, so … More…
- Becky Bereans Hot Button Topic Discussion – Divorceby Brian HuppWe examine the topic of divorce within the Church, in the light of Biblical revelation.
- Reflections on Mortality, My Father, and God’s Sovereigntyby Brian HuppI reflect on my relationship with my father on what would have been his 97th birthday in connection with my own mortality, a dream I had, and the reassurance we find in Psalm 139 on all these things.
- Becky Bereans Hot Button Issues Discussion – Transgenderismby Brian HuppHere are the notes for our discussion of Transgenderism – the first in our series of hot-button issue discussions at the Monday evening gatherings of the Becky Bereans.
- Christian Life Foundations Courseby Brian HuppStudy notes outlines, recordings, and scripture references for the Becky Bereans’ Christian Life Foundations course.
- Matthew 13 – Jesus Rejected at Nazarethby Brian HuppWe conclude our study of Matthew 13 with the story of Jesus’ rejection by the people of His home town.
- Matthew 13 – Parables of the Hidden Treasure and Pearl of Great Valueby Brian HuppWe conclude our study of the seven so-called Kingdom Parables in Matthew 13 with a look at the Parables of the Hidden Treasure and the Pearl of Great Value