Welcome to The Surly Curmudgeon!
Most Recent Bible Studies and Curmudgeonliness
- 2017 Mercedes Sprinter Antenna Repairby Brian HuppOur van’s navigation system stopped working, and then the overhead light console began dripping water. The integrated gasket material at the bottom of the plastic antenna mounting shell had gotten brittle and started to crumble which was allowing water incursion into the van’s interior. Replacing the antenna mount would have cost several hundred dollars, so … More…
- Becky Bereans Hot Button Topic Discussion – Divorceby Brian HuppWe examine the topic of divorce within the Church, in the light of Biblical revelation.
- Reflections on Mortality, My Father, and God’s Sovereigntyby Brian HuppI reflect on my relationship with my father on what would have been his 97th birthday in connection with my own mortality, a dream I had, and the reassurance we find in Psalm 139 on all these things.
- Becky Bereans Hot Button Issues Discussion – Transgenderismby Brian HuppHere are the notes for our discussion of Transgenderism – the first in our series of hot-button issue discussions at the Monday evening gatherings of the Becky Bereans.
- Christian Life Foundations Courseby Brian HuppStudy notes outlines, recordings, and scripture references for the Becky Bereans’ Christian Life Foundations course.
- Matthew 13 – Jesus Rejected at Nazarethby Brian HuppWe conclude our study of Matthew 13 with the story of Jesus’ rejection by the people of His home town.
- Matthew 13 – Parables of the Hidden Treasure and Pearl of Great Valueby Brian HuppWe conclude our study of the seven so-called Kingdom Parables in Matthew 13 with a look at the Parables of the Hidden Treasure and the Pearl of Great Value
- Matthew 13:33 – The Parable of the Leavenby Brian HuppWe continue with the Parables Jesus taught from the boat at Capernaum with the Parable of the Leaven. We look at the symbolism of leaven in general.
- Matthew 13:31-32 – The Parable of the Mustard Seedby Brian HuppWe continue our study of the parables Jesus taught from the boat at Capernaum with two more of thsee seven so-called “Kingdom” parables – the Parable of the Mustard Seed and the Parable of the Leaven.
- Matthew 13:24-30, 36-43 & 47-50 – Parables of the Coming Judgementby Brian HuppWe continue our study of the parables Jesus taught from the boat at Caparnaum with two parables pertaining to God’s final judgement – The Parable of the Tares (weeds) and the Parable of the Net