Fourteenth day since Hive 2 was split from Hive 1. No uncapped brood or eggs in either hive. One recently emerged empty queen cell in Hive 2.
Hive 1 – Woodpile
- 11 frames total.
- Active foraging with good income of nectar and pollen.
- Capped worker and drone brood.
- No eggs.
- No uncapped brood.
- Walking drones seen.
- Queen not found.
- No sign of small hive beetle or wax moth.
- No mite counts performed.
- 7 honey – about 50% full. Mostly uncapped nectar. Some capped honey.
- 5 brood – capped worker and drone. No queen cells or cups.
- Oil traps were swapped for diatomaceous earth after last inspection.
Hive 2 – Boathouse Roof
- This is the 14th day since this split was created.
- Capped worker and drone brood present.
- Good influx of nectar and pollen.
- No eggs or uncapped brood seen.
- One recently emerged queen cell.
- Large proportion of drones among the population.
- Moderate activity at the entrance.
- No sign of robbing or vermin.
- 2 brood – All capped or empty with ordinary pattern of honey and pollen cells surrounding brood. One recently emerged queen cell.
- 3 stores – New capped honey, new nectar.
Hive 3 – Boathouse Door
This hive is empty. It has been cleaned and placed onto a level block pad awaiting bees.
Plan of Action
- Inspect hives 1 and 2 in 20 days.
- If either hive still has no uncapped brood – re-queen or combine queenless colony.